♦ Are you nervous about the thought of networking?
Here are some tips:
- Introduce yourself with an elevator pitch: Introduce your name, major, and a career/internship goal in the approximate time it takes to ride on an elevator (30 seconds). Then pay attention to ask them intentional questions.
- Don’t know what to talk about after your introduction? Use the F.O.R.M. technique as a way to think of relevant questions to ask.
- Here’s what F.O.R.M. looks like in conversation:
- Family: (Do you have family in Greensboro?, Do you have any other UNCG Alum in your family?, Do you have any pets?, etc.)
- Occupation: (What do you do for a living?, How did you find that job?, Did you think you would always work in that field?, etc.)
- Recreation: (What do you enjoy outside of work?, Were you involved with any clubs at UNCG?, etc.)
- Motivation: (Why did you choose your career/major?, What is your favorite part of your job?, What advice would you give to a current student looking at similar jobs?, etc.)
♦ Want to Practice Real Networking?
Attend SPARTANS CONNECT on February 23, 2017, from 6-8pm, in the EUC Cone Ballroom. Join successful Spartan alumni for an evening of great food and conversation!
You already have one thing in common… being a Spartan!
Learn how to build authentic professional relationships and understand the basics of networking.
There will be a 45-minute informational session exploring different networking strategies, then a full hour to make professional connections with alumni.
Registration: 5:30pm- 6:00pm
Networking Presentation: 6:00pm- 6:45pm
Student + Alumni Mixer: 6:45pm-8:00pm
RVSP to attend Spartans Connect through SpartanCareers by February 16. Smart professional/business casual attire encouraged!
♦ Also! Do you plan to attend our upcoming Spring Career Fair?
Then prep your networking strategies specific to navigating the career fair by attending one of our Spring Career Fair Prep sessions on Feb. 27 and Feb. 28.
To attend a Do’s Don’ts & Donuts Spring Career Fair Prep session …
RSVP in Spartan Careers!